Saturday, January 7, 2012

How to Make Burlap Roses

Burlap roses are so easy to make and can be used to make wreaths, topiaries, embellish gift wrapping...the list goes on and on.  Here's how I make mine.

Step 1: For the smaller roses I cut out strips of burlap that were 13 inches long and 1 & 1/2 inches wide (the width doesn't have to be exact, but it's better to make the strips wider than thinner). The larger roses were made out of strips that were 26 inches long and 1 & 1/2 inches wide.
Step 2: Roll the burlap three or four times to make the center of the rose.
Step 3: Glue at the bottom of the petal that is beginning to form. Make sure you glue low so the dried glue isn't seen. Nobody likes looking at a sloppy rose.
Step 4: As you hold the base with your left hand (if you're right-handed), continue to wrap the burlap around the center of the rose with your right hand while twisting it towards you. This will give it a full look and keep it together. 
Continue to glue the burlap after every few wraps and twists of your wrist.
Step 5: At the end of the strip, put a generous amount of glue on the remaining flap and press it down with scissor sheers until it is dry.
The smaller ones took me about 2 minutes each and the large ones about 5 minutes. It's kind of time consuming, but a great de-stresser.
Have fun!
~Cindy Jane

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving the size of each rose. I haven't been able to find instructions that were so precise.I'm so glad I happened to find your info. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there~
    Are you using a single layer of 1 1/2" burlap or using a 3"wide roll and folding in half? Also, I feel like I'm missing a step. At Step 2, how are you holding the burlap before you roll it 3-4 times to make the center of the rose? I'm planning on making these for the boutonnieres for my wedding. Thanks for any help you can give me!

    Betsy in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the effect of burlap roses. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really pretyy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soy de costa Rica ,preciosas

    ReplyDelete